One of our unique products is RINZAFFO MGN, a plaster developed in 1980 in Venice to the problem of capillary rising damp, penetrating damp and salts, however its origins stretch back to ancient Roman times.
It is a breathable salt resistant lime scratch coat, which protects subsequent plaster layers from the destructive effect of salts. Because it is both waterproof and breathable in the same time, it is suitable for a number of specialist applications such as:
- A base coat in any building subject to rising or penetrating damp
- A render against driving rain
- A plaster against the damp patches, discoloration or the crystallization of salts (sulphates) around old fireplaces and chimney stacks, a frequent problem in old buildings
- A lime-based "tanking slurry" to make basements or cellars waterproof
- As a waterproof (but breathable) floor screed to prevent flooding in high water-table or pressure water situations
The RINZAFFO MGN system, due to its unique pore structure, prevents the crystallization of salts inside its pore structure. By regulating the evaporation of humidity it keeps salts residing inside the capillaries in a dissolved state thus prevents the rapid crystallization of salts often resulting in the detachment of plaster and deterioration of masonry.
With Rinzaffo MGN the surface of the plaster stays dry and healthy, and the appearance of the interior remains aesthetically pleasing.
The life expectancy of the plaster is very long even in "heavy-duty" damp and salty environments, if applied correctly, it can last over 40 years.
Here is some key technical data. Please see technical sheet below for more information.
0 - 5 mm
Vapour diffusion resistance (μ)
Thermal conductivity (λ)
Compressive strength (N / m²)
Adhesion (N / m²)
Weight (kg / m³)
Consumption (kg / m² area / cm thickness)
Bag weight (kg)
25 (48 bags per pallet)
Water intake (l / bag)
Rising damp, Penetrating damp, Wind driven rain, Basement tanking, Chimneys, Salts, Flooding
- NHL5 Natural hydraulic lime
- Washed silica sand free of impurities
- Marble powder
- Hydraulic and pozzolanic binders
- Natural organic additives